Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bad Day at the Gym

Last month, I had amazing results from my fitness assessment. I lost 8 pounds, 5" off my waist, and 1.5% body fat. There was some additional inches off the rest of me and I showed general improvement overall in terms of strength.

This month, although I have noticed a distinct difference in the way my clothing fits (sagging pants, boobs are now actually rambling around in my DD cups, buttons stay buttoned across my chest instead of popping open or gaping) People seem to notice my weight loss more this month than last month. But if I am to believe today's numbers, NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!!

I lost only 2 pounds. I expected to see some drastic drop in inches from my bust, waist and hips, but the loss was zip or at best forgettable. What did change, was my body fat %. It went down 3% and that is a lot of fat and probably why my body looks different and my clothes fit better.

So, the question I have, is... Should I do these monthly assessments?

I feel discouraged, disappointed in myself, and today, I have wavered between giving up and burying my face in a box of timbits (the BIG box). Of course, I'm not going to do either, I am as committed to this as ever, figuratively and financially...

But right now, I'm playing silly mind games and basing my entire self-worth on the number on a scale and measuring tape.

To make matters worse, Steve the ASSesser (pun intended)had the audacity to question my commitment! Am I actually coming 3 times a week? Do I workout on my own with the same intensity as I do with Bikky? And what about diet? Am I cheating?, Eating junk food? Huge portions?

He has no idea how close he came to having that stupid body fat gizmo shoved up his health fit A**!!!!

And get this... Steve the ASSessor also tells me that I should never allow my heart rate to go over 105 beats per minute while doing my 45 minute cardio... apparently that burns more fat than working at a higher intensity and burning 500 calories in 45 minutes... confused? Me too!

Like I said,bad day at the gym... can't wait to see what Bikky has to say about all this...

1 comment:

  1. Okay...first off. STOP BERATING YOURSELF!! There's a simple explanation why the numbers don't seem to add up. You're building muscle, right? Muscle weighs more than fat!! Simple. That's why it's misleading to rely on the numbers on a scale. Instead, what you first mentioned...the fit of your clothes...is a truer indication of the changes your body is making. So ease up on your sweet self, cousin. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete